Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Our Garden

Last week we finally ate some things from our garden. We had some beets and they were so yummy! I only remember having ones from the can and these were so much better. My kids love them too. We could have pulled twice this many and they would have been eaten. I think the beet plants are the prettiest in the garden. I love the colors of the purple and green leaves. We also used our basil. I only used about half of what I usually use (because that is all there was) and it was perfectly fine. There have been times I've made it and wished there had been more basil. I guess that is the difference between something sitting in the store and something you pick and use immediately. We've also used cilantro and that was really flavorful too.

We had one other thing that we picked and ate but it wasn't very good. They were some kind of mixed greens. One time at Power Ranch Ward's Enrichment, they gave us these seed balls. All you do is put them on the ground and water them. One was a Mesculun Mix and we planted it. They grow very well, but don't taste that good. We cooked them with butter and garlic, but they were bitter. I couldn't even eat them. We are wondering if they grew too big. I'm just scared to try them again.

We have had fun watching the garden grow. We like to go out and see the progress that is happening. It also makes us wonder why some plants grow and some don't and why some produce fruit and others don't. We have 1 strawberry plant with a few berries and 5 other plants with nothing. We don't get it. Hopefully we can learn a few things and have an even better garden next year. It's fun learning though.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Beets are for sure on my list for fall. They sure are pretty!

Stephanie said...

Yum! Basil is my favorite herb to cook with. And I've never had fresh beets! If you ever have too many of anything, you know where I live :)